Sunday, January 27, 2013

Litany



You are the wind and the willow,
the raven and the crow.
You are the happy,
and the light.
You are the clown,
and the hope.

However, you are not agony,
pain,
or sorrow.
And you are certainly not purgatory.
There is just no way that you are bad to the bones.

It is possible that you are confusing,
maybe even disturbing,
but you are not even close
to being annoying.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither black
nor white.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I jump with glee.

I also happen to be walking,
talking
and thinking.

I am also the counter
and the balance.
But don't worry, I'm not the agony and the pain.
You are still the wind and the willow.
You will always be the hope and the light,
not to mention the happy and--somehow--the angel.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I think my favorite line the "raven and crow" line because most people don't distinguish between them. They assign them to the class of black birds. Your inclusion of both makes me want to look up data about both birds to see how they are distinct, especially if a person is being compared to both of these things. Finally, I would point out that you don't do as much work with figurative language and comparison as I'd like you to. The Collins poem is comprised almost entirely out of comparisons. Think about the power of having more images beyond the raven and the crow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I really like how it flows smoothly from word to word!

    ReplyDelete